Who doesn’t love a classic Shirley Temple? I have fond memories as a child growing up in the ‘90s sipping Shirley Temple’s and playing PacMan at a local hole-in-the-wall Mexican joint. It was the only place my parents would “splurge” and let my siblings and I imbibe on this old-school mocktail, presumably because the sweet indulgence combined with endless plays on our favorite arcade game would keep us kids occupied so my parents could enjoy some ‘ritas and adult convo.
I want to restore that fond memory and share my love of the “Shirley” with my own children while also being mindful of the ingredients used. My take on the Shirley Temple mocktail includes lemon-lime flavored soda (without artificial sweeteners; faves include Zevia and Hansen’s cherry lime soda, but you can also use Sprite or 7-Up if you prefer), Monin Grenadine (without any artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, sweeteners or other artificial ingredients), sparkling water, fresh lime juice and of course, a cherry garnish!
I like to call this modern twist on an old-time classic, The Modern Shirley!
The Modern Shirley
Total Time: 5 minutes
Serving Size: about 12oz
– 1 12oz can lemon-lime flavored soda
– 1 12oz can of lemon or lime flavored sparkling water
– Juice of one lime, divided
– 2 tsp Grenadine (or more, if desired)
– Maraschino cherry, preferably without artificial ingredients
Let’s do this!
- Place ice in two tall glasses.
- Fill each glass about half-way up with lemon-lime flavored soda. Add at least 1 tsp of grenadine to each glass, followed by the juice of one lime (split between the two glasses). Top each glass with sparkling water. Gently stir to combine.
- Garnish with a maraschino cherry and lime wheel (optional). Enjoy!