My Peppermint Brownies are festive, fudgy, and the perfect finisher to any holiday meal. They’re relatively easy to make, too, due to the convenience of boxed brownie mix and the use of pre-crushed peppermint candies, and can be freezed and enjoyed for up to three months. These extravagant bars taste extra rich alongside a mug of hot cocoa and are a beautiful contribution to any dessert platter, cookie exchange party, or gift box arrangement.
Makes: 36 brownie squares
Prep Time/Hands On Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: See package instructions
Total Time: 2 hours
- 1 package of family-size brownie mix (fudge, milk chocolate, or dark chocolate)
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 stick (½ cup) of butter plus 7 TBSP of butter, divided
- 1 ½ TBSP heavy cream
- 1 tsp pure peppermint extract
- 12 ounces of semi-sweet baking chocolate, coarsely chopped or broken apart
- ¼ – ½ cup of crushed peppermint candies or candy canes (quantity depends on personal preference)
Let’s do this!
- Start by pre-heating the oven to the temperature listed on the brownie mix then prepare the brownie mix according to the package directions. Spread the batter in a greased 13”x9” baking pan and bake as directed.
- Once the brownies are completely baked (and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean), cool the brownies in the pan on a wire rack.*
- While the brownies cool, work on the filling. In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat the powdered sugar, 7 TBSP of melted butter, heavy cream, and peppermint extract until well blended and smooth. Once the brownies are cooled, spread the filling on top, making sure to cover the entire surface of the brownies (edge to edge). Refrigerate for 30 minutes to set.
- Once Step 3 is complete, microwave the baking chocolate and remaining ½ cup of butter in a medium-size bowl on HIGH for 2 minutes, or until the butter is melted (you can also do this over the stovetop in a saucepan). Stir until the chocolate is fully melted. Spread over the top of the chilled brownie to cover the entire surface. Sprinkle the crushed peppermint candies. Refrigerate for another 30 minutes.
- Cut into 2-inch squares. Refrigerate for up to one week or freeze for up to 3 months.**
*As the brownies cool, use a butter knife to loosen the edges around the perimeter of the baking pan. I advise doing this again once Step 3 is complete. This will make cutting the squares easier in the end.
**I recommend storing these brownies in the refrigerator or freezer until you’re ready to consume them.